Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Montessori Continent Boxes In Progress

I've been wanting to make Montessori Continent Boxes for a long time. These are a popular Montessori way to introduce kids to geography and world culture. Each box represents one continent and is filled with books, toys and other items representing that continent. Since Mr. B's class has been covering continents, I decided that it's time to get this project started. 

A few month ago I started asking family members who were planning trips abroad to bring bag items from their travels. We ended up scoring goodies from Ecuador, India and England! 

For the boxes, I purchased this lovely set of craft boxes from Costco for $20. Now, I know that there are seven continents and I only have five boxes. I'm going to put Europe and Australia on hold for know because I don't have too many resources representing those continents. 
Next, I went around the house gathering books, toy animals, puzzles and pictures to put in the boxes. I am in no way close to being done with these but here is what I have so far: 
North America
Africa
Asia and South America
I also plan to add Toobs (which I just found out are sold at Michaels), flags, homemade games, pictures (food, currency, landmarks, etc.), recipes and other age appropriate items and activities. I will also decorate the boxes with pictures of the continent (possibly made of felt) and stickers. 


As Mr. B and Baby G grow, I can change out the items to increase the complexity of the materials.

Update!!! Here are our finished boxes:



No comments:

Post a Comment