Wednesday, August 5, 2015

We Love Mercer Mayer's Monster Books!

We LOVE Mercer Mayer's monster series!

It all started with the classic There's a Nightmare in My Closet which was on the recommended book list I was following. This is a very simple book about a little boy who decides to confront the monster hiding in his closet, shoots him with his toy gun and ends up comforting him when the monster cries. Mr. B fell in love with this book before he turned two. The pictures are great and gave us a lot to discuss. Mr. B loved going over the objects in the little boy's room. Gun violence aside, this book was an excellent complement to Mr. B's simultaneous obsession with Pixar's Monsters Inc. Hopefully, we have preemptively avoided any monster fears in the future.

From there we introduced There's an Alligator under My Bed. This book is more advanced and involves a boy luring the alligator from under his bed and locking him in the garage. I found this book very funny but I'm not sure that Mr. B is old enough to get some of the humor. For fun, Mr. B and I put a toy alligator under his bed and checked on him every time we read the book.

Next we added There Are Monsters Everywhere to our reading list. This book involves a boy who believes that there monsters hiding everywhere. He ends up taking Karate classes in order to build up his courage. Mr. B loves this one and now really wants to take martial arts classes (there is a Tae Kwon Do studio next door to his school and he loves to peek in on the classes). Personally, I'm not as excited about this book as I am about the others. The story encourages kids to use martial arts to solve their problems (the boy threatens the monsters and kicks a trash can to scare them). Overall, it's a cute book but not my favorite monster book.

We also checked  out There's Something in My Attic from the library but Mr. B didn't get excited about it. I only read it to him once and don't remember the plot. 

Now, if only Mr. B liked all the Critters books I collected...



No comments:

Post a Comment