Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The Encinitas Used Book Hunt

Baby G starts school next week (part time) so I decided to do one last haul (book hunt) for awhile.

For this hunt I drove to Encinitas in search of books that I normally wouldn't find near our house. One of my favorite places to shop for books is the used book store at the Carlsbad Library on Dove Lane.
This little book store is meticulously organized and appears to be a great drop off spot for teachers. I find amazing educational materials here and the majority of my foreign language books. Currently we are working on Chinese and Russian (I am fluent in Russian and speak some Chinese). Mr. Husband would like the kids to learn Spanish (but I know very little). I took many years of French in high school and college but we are not requiring that the kids learn it (although materials are available if they are interested). 

Today I found a great oversized First Word French Book and a couple new Chinese workbooks. We have the same Word Book in Spanish and Mr. B was obsessed with it when he was 18 months. Unfortunately, since I don't speak Spanish (and have terrible pronunciation) I couldn't answer all his questions about the less obvious words and pictures. 

Also at the Carlsbad Library bookstore I found two magic school bus books, an animal puzzle/search book and a math book for my collection. These magic school bus books are based on the show and are not the original books. They appear to be more basic then the original books so I hope to start Mr. B on them before we get to the classic books (there are also chapter books for much later).  

Math for All Season is the third math book that I have added to my collection of mind stretching math riddles by Greg Tang. I have not yet introduced Mr. B to these. 

Finally, My Dinosaur by Mark Weatherby was purchased with Baby G in mind. We own a large collection of little boy + dinosaur friendship books which Mr. B loves. This one stars a little girl and has beautiful illustrations. Hopefully Baby G loves dinosaurs as much as Mr. B.

My next and final stop was the Encinitas Community Resource Center (CRC) which is conveniently only 15 minutes away from Carlsbad Library. Wednesday is the day to visit this store for their 50% off books and media sale. 
This CRC usually has a huge collection of children's books but unfortunately didn't have much today. Most of the books I purchased were books that I regretted not buying last month (I scan all the books that interest me into Amazon and review them afterwards). 

My most exciting purchase completes my Tales from the Odyssey collection by Mary Pope Osborne. This is exciting because I only started this collection last week
Another fun book is Lives of the Presidents: Fame, Shame (and What the Neighbors Thought) by Kathleen Krull. This is an interesting addition to our presidents collection. 

I also picked a new board book for Baby G: Real Mother Goose Classic Counting Rhymes. We have several Real Mother Goose board books and Mr. B LOVES them (we have read these books to him an unbelievable number of time). This new book focuses on the math-oriented Mother Goose rhymes and Mr. B has already asked me to read it several times. There is some repetition from the other books but there is enough new content to justify the $0.25 investment. 

The rest of the books include Steps (gateways to the Sun) by Alma Flor Ada, about three artists, and an Usborn book on the Romans. These books are pretty advanced and I do not have any future plans on introducing them to Mr. B. 


No comments:

Post a Comment